Thursday, November 15, 2012

Life is not just a bed of roses!



A journey of thousand miles must begin with a single step, said Lao Tsu, a Chinese thinker. When steps become perilous and path one under takes becomes a hindrance with whatever reasons, it makes one feel and question, “Am I doing the right thing or am I in the right direction?” Many a friend of mine often question me, what is it that you want from this life and what do you expect out of this life? It is a reasonable question; perhaps they are right when they ask this obvious question. 

Now, let’s dwell for a second on this, what is it that you want from life? 

I am educated, I have a job and living a contend life. Now what? The most obvious step my buddies tell me is get a wife, settle down, have kids. Live for the ones that you made a family for! Then what? What after? Is this what one wishes for? Well that depends on individuals. Some may immediately do what is suggested and even parents would like to see their sons and daughters do the same, because the reason is, “who is going to look after you when you are old, fragile and sick?” Or consider this, “Children of your friends are almost ready for schooling and what about you?”

Picture courtesy: Google images
Bon Jovi yells, “It’s my life” and Smokie sings, “It’s your life”. Given the present situation, are families, kids, home everything that one expects out of this brief called life? Or is there another realm of life that one needs to explore to make-life-large? This remains buried deep in our subconscious mind. 

People can have varying differences and opinions on life and everyone knows how to make it large. A simple life on the other which I am living now attributes to what? Does simple living mean staying aloof, avoiding company? Or does it mean to have little of everything or does it mean to do what one loves doing? Life being a bed of roses is momentary and can lead to disillusionment. Certainly the thought of being unhappy stirs fear and we do anticipate such thoughts.

Sometimes I do think that good times will last forever, but I easily succumb to pressure during difficulties. I do not put in the required hard work and efforts because I break down easily. I am told, “Facing difficulties with courage and accept success without letting it go to its head” then I can experience real happiness, contentment and peace in life. 

To sum up, life is beautiful just as roses but it has challenges which are like thorns and have to be faced and overcome by all. Those, who accept these, challenges and succeed, are the ones, who know how to live life in its true sense. Enjoy life but also be prepared to bear the pain. Thus, life is and should not be just a bed of roses; thorns are also a part of it and should be accepted by us just as we accept the beautiful side of life.


4 comments:

  1. enjoy man....that's what life is off...nobody gets alive...so enjoy to the fullest ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks but that's what I felt as of now.....thank you dost

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. So CHEERS Dost !! as it goes Life Goes on on on :)

    ReplyDelete