Wednesday, September 13, 2017

A piece of Myanmar…

The ingredients
This is my very first update on cookery in my six years of blogging. I have a very good friend named Moses and he happens to be my immediate neighbor. Today after my classes at the university, I heard some noises at his apartment and I checked on him with a sense of curiosity. 

My apartment has residents from all over the world, viz: Germany, Africa, Japan, Myanmar (Burma), Finland and not to forget our very own Bhutanese.

Checking on him, he was cooking or rather boiling some fish with lemon grass. Inside he had some chillies mashed, some ginger, coriander leaves, lemon grass leaves, crab meat and some fried onions. This broth or rather soup must be eaten with rice noodles and I skipped the noodles but the soup tasted awesome.

The soup
Moses
To make it a little limey, one can choose to add some lemon juice. That’s exactly what Moses did. And yes not to forget the salt.










The final Dish
Now for some history, this dish is called Rakhine Moudi. This is the traditional dish of the ethnic people of Rakhine state as he tells me. Now, one can find this dish in every corner of Myanmar.



With international headlines on Rakhine and the Rohingyas these days, I get to savor a piece of Myanmar in the silent city of Rangsit. Look at those pictures, doesn’t it look flavorful?


Until then, happy savoring folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment